Sherman County Historical Society and Museum
Open Daily 10 until 5 May through October
|Contact: Sherry Kaseberg
News release. February 17, 2008
The Sherman County Historical Society is increasingly close to owning the Sherman County Journal collection, having raised 80% of the amount needed to complete the purchase of this historical equipment. The Society needs to raise another $10,849.
The City of Moro donated property adjacent to the Museum for a future addition to house the Journal. The Society purchased two shipping containers where the equipment from what is believed to be the last hot lead print shop in Oregon is currently in storage.
Taking steps toward an exhibit of significant importance, Barbara Kaseberg Riper will match donations of $25 to $100 made to the Sherman County Journal fund by first-time Museum donors.
In 1929 Giles French purchased the Grass Valley Journal from Mrs. Westerfield. In 1931, Giles and Lela French bought the Observer from Mr. Ireland and consolidated the two newspapers, setting up shop in Moro and naming it the Sherman County Journal. He bought the Wasco News-Enterprise and consolidated it with the Journal. In addition to publishing the Journal, French served in the Oregon legislature, 1935-1951, and wrote a Sherman County history, The Golden Land.
Subsequent owners included Dan Bartlett, Sr., Jack Healy and Dan Bartlett, Jr., from whose heirs the Society is purchasing the collection.
The Society is appreciative of the 65 individual, three business and four charitable foundation donors for their support in adding value to the Museum collections.
The museum is open daily May through October from 10 until 5. Contact Sherman County Historical Society, P.O. Box 173, Moro, OR 97039 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org